This delicious offal dish is served on toast they are perfect for breakfast, lunch or as a starter at dinner.
8 very fresh lambs kidneys from the butchers
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 butter a rape seed oilnd
A small glass madeira or brandy
A healthy splash of Worcestershire sauce
A pinch of chilli flakes
2–3 tbsp double cream
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to finish
A tablespoon of chopped capers
1. Cut the kidneys into quarters and trim out the white core.
2. Set a medium-large frying pan over a high heat. When it is hot, add the butter and oil followed by the kidneys.
3. Don’t stir them straight away let them get a little colour before tossing them in the pan and adding the onion. Once the onions are softened (couple of minutes), add the madeira or brandy (stand back for flambe).
4. Let it bubble and reduce down, then add the Worcestershire sauce and capers
5. Now stir in the cream and allow the liquor to bubble and reduce down.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
7. Finish with freshly chopped parsley and chilli flakes.
8. Serve on your favourite bread, (I love a thick cut Hovis)